The following is a description of the typical curriculm offered to our participants. It must be noted that there is a degree of flexibility in the program. Our objective in presenting the Emergent Workforce™ program is to best support the needs of those attending. To that end, the program may place greater or lessor emphasis on the modules to satisfy that need.
We begin with a brief introduction to the program. This will include the format of the learning experiences, simple ground rules, and expectations.
Each day begins with a review of the prior session, as well as a sharing of the outcomes and learnings from the exercises that participants complete between sessions.
THE SCIENCE OF SOUND
The Science of Sound is an explanation of how sound works, and why it is such a powerful healer. Because manuy of our participants already understand most of the theory, and because it's not critical to the learning during the program, this will be a summary only. Participants in the program will have access to a video discussing this in some detail.
- Science of Sound Video
- Understanding How Stress Shows Up
LISTEN FROM THE INSIDE OUT
We tend to dismiss the effects of sound and music, because we are consistently bombarded with it, from traffic and construction noise to the sounds in the office, to the sounds of nature when out for a walk. This is called habituation, and is part of our defence mechanisms. It is only by listening and assessing the impact that a particular sound has on us, mentally – physically – emotionally – spiritually, that can we separate out what supports us, and what doesn’t.
The Sound Wellness Triple-I System™ will be introduced, and participants will use this tool to evaluate their experience throughout the program, and beyond. The Triple-I System stands for Investigate, Implement, and Integrate.
- understanding and application of the Sound Wellness Triple-I System™
- expansion of observation skills
- expanded awareness to how sound is experienced
- exploration of uniqueness of response
SECONDS TO A HEALTHY CYCLE
The NItric Oxide cycle is one of the most important natural cycles in our bodies, supporting our immune system, the digestive tract, and the cardio-vascular system. It can be easily supressed by stress, by fatigue, or illness, with short term and long term consequences.
Scientific study has valided that specific frequencies of sound can stimulate this vital process in our cells, supporting overall health and wellbeing. One of the most powerful of these frequencies is reproduced by the Perfect fifth tuning forks which can stimuilate the nitric oxide cycle, in less than 30 seconds.
This segment will explore the science and the use of this simple tool. Because it is so important, each person will be given a set as part of the course materials for their own use.
- the importance of the cellular nitric oxide cycle.
- how to reduce of effects of stress.
- how to correctly activate and use the Perfect Fifth forks.
- how to incorporate a 2-minute exercise with the Perfect Fifth tuning forks into a daily routine.
RECLAIM THE BRAIN
Brainwave entrainment is a thousands of years old practice for supporting calm and focus. Slowing the brainwave state also slows the heartbeat and the breathing rate creating a relaxation response. Coupled with the right sounds and music. It can be a great tool to improve focus and concentration, enhance creativity, and more.
- observation and awareness of 3 main brainwave states – Beta, Alpha, Theta.
- application and experience of how music can be used purposefully to stimulate specific brainwave states for a tool to enhance focus and flexible, creative thinking.
- exploration of uniqueness of response.
Interspersed throughout the program is a series of easy exercises designed to refresh the body, and rejuvenate thinking. This program is not a "wellness" program, but we do incorporate aspects of wellness and a healthy lifestyle as part of the transformation into an Emergent Workforce™. Exercises are easy to do, and take only a few minutes, making them easy to incorporate into a daily routine.
In addition, meals that are offered during the program will be selected by our staff nutritionalist to ensure they offer healthy choices. In so doing, tips on making healthy choices for meals at home will be offered.
- participants will be tasked to track their own meals for 3 days. At the conclusion of the 3 days, they will assess whether they are satisfied with their meal choices.
- participants will learn how simple changes in diet and lifestyle can yield dramatic results.
Based on the principals of HeartMath®, participants will explore how the autonomic nervous system behaves under stress, and understanding that, they will develope the ability to tune into their body to head-off the stress response.
Most of us are unaware of when we are stressed. Others wear stress as a "badge of honour". Neither of these support us. This module will focus on two coherence building techniques that arrest the stress response and improve the ability to maintain composed under stress.
- to understansd how the autonomic nervous system responds to stress.
- to be able to recognize when the stress response is occurring.
- to be able to shut down the stress response as it's building.
This module delves into the use of Applied Psychoacoustic Music. Don't be intimidated by the name. Psychoacoustics is simply the study of the effect that sound and music has on us. Applied Psychoacoustic Music is the application of that knowledge in designing music to create specific results. This is essentially engineered music, designed to aid sleep, increase focus and concentration, heighten creativity, and more.
- the understanding and experience of entrainment - the interdependance of the heartbeat, of breathing and of the brainwave state.
- application of how this type of music can be used purposefully in everyday life.
- an exploration of uniqueness of response.
A RESTART BUTTON
Sometimes when your computer is running slow, when it feels like it's getting bogged down, all that it needs is a restart. Often, we're no different.
Tibetan Singing bowls have been with us for well over 2000 years. They were traditionally used as an aid for a meditation practice, but they do much more. The slow repetitive movement of the playing stick creates an instant physical relaxation response, while calming emotions and focusing the mind. The Tibetan Singing Bowl can act like the restart button on the computer. They are natural stress-busters that can stimulate the natural healing ability of the body.
This module explores the origin of the Tibetan singing bowls, how they were used, and how we can use them today to achieve the same benefits as the ancient Tibetans enjoyed.
- experiencen of sound as it travels through the body and evaluating the effects.
- application of how singing bowls can be used in everyday life.
- exploration of uniqueness of response.
SOUND @ WORK
There are always distractions in an office environment. From the sound of a phone ringing, conversations in the hall, or a photocopier, or printer working away to name but a few. The distractions are compounded as more businesses shift to cubicles, which have been shown to reduce productivity by up to 60%.
This module explores the options to counter the noise and regain some of the lost productivity.
- experience and investigation of several sound solutions that can increase productivity at work.
- implementing at least one option during the month.
- report on effectiveness for next training day.
FROM DEPLETION TO RENEWAL
This module builds on the learnings and experiences of the 'Building Resiliance' module with understanding the connection between the stress response and hormone production and the link between emotions and ‘personal magnetism'.
- The connection between the stress response and hormone production.
- Link between emotions and ‘personal magnetism’.
Practical techniques are explored to create personal breakthroughs in managing relationships, improving personal outlook in life and improving personal productivity.
We all have our own perceptions. It has been said that there is no one truth for our individual truths have been coloured by our perceptions and beliefs, our upbringing and past experience. This module is an awakening to our perceptual filters, and explores ways to understand how perceptual filters affect communication – opening the door to kindness, wisdom and compassion.
This is the foundation for those working with others, as it opens an individual to recognizing, and even expecting different points of view.
- investigation of sensory perception and how perceptual filters affect us.
- understanding how our perception is filtered by beliefs is the beginning of wisdom.
- creating clarity of perception and its role in communication.
AN EXERCISE IN GRATITUDE
One of the guiding principles for the Emergent Workforce program is to raise the collective (vibrational) energy such that each person is in the right space and the right mindset to seek their highest potential.
Much of our angst, our negativity, depression, and even much of our own self esteem, comes from our perceptions. This segment is about observing and understanding those perceptions through the eyes of perceptual intelligence. It’s very easy to cling to the negative, while setting aside all the positives that influence us every day. In this segment, participants investigate the power of gratitude to shift perception resulting in a complete shift of emotional state.
- investigation of what participants are grateful for in each of 8 different areas of life.
- implementation of the list during times of challenge throughout the next month.
- expansion of ability in managing emotions with a powerful reframing tool,
This segment explores the most powerful community builder humanity has - playing music together. (Absolutely no musical experience is required for this exercise, and often the less musical knowledge – the better!) When we play music together, there is a battery of hormones released by the nervous system, including Oxytocin, the bonding hormone, Dopamine, the ‘feel good’ hormone, Immunoglobulin A (IgA) an important immune system antibody, Seratonin, which regulates the sleep/waking cycle, and Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), Growth hormone (GH), and B-endorphin (B-EP), all helpful in supporting our immune function.
Working with a variety of simple rhythm instruments, participants will first play simple songs as a group, and will then spilt into smaller groups where they will explore music with their team. This is an excellent team-building exercise, that comes with impressive health benefits.
- enhance creativity through experience and laughter.
- working with group members’ strengths and weaknesses creatively.
- stimulating the natural healing ability of the body.
THE POWER OF THE VOICE
One of the most powerful sounds that we have at our disposal is our own voice. We do this through toning – the natural voice of the body. Toning literally gives your entire being a sonic massage from the inside out. It massages every cell of your body into harmony and balance, calms the emotions and aligns you with the deepest essence of your soul.
- expansion of awareness in how the voice affects us as it goes through us.
- investigation of tone of voice and how the voice heals.
- implementation of several ways to use the voice to stimulate the natural healing ability of the body.
REVIEW OF THE GRATITUDE EXERCISE
This is a recap of the Gratitude exercise. We’ll facilitate an open discussion on what gratitude means, and how powerfully it can impact our emotions and our actions.
SCIENCE OF THE BIOFIELD
The human biofield, or human energy field, is as much a part of you as your nose or your toes. Scientists at HeartMath Institute have measured the field of the heart out to eight feet beyond the body. They have found that this field carries information and emotional energy that communicates non-verbally to others. It carries powerful resources to support our spiritual wellbeing, which is the source of strength and grace.
- understanding of the science measuring the field.
- playing with the edge of the comfort zone.
- exploration and expansion of the perceptual senses to investigate the field.
MANAGING EMOTIONAL ENERGY
This segment is perhaps the most powerful of the entire program.
We all carry the remnants of emotional trauma within us – each of us to a greater or lesser degree. It often manifests as an ache that won’t go away, as digestive concerns, as lethargy among others. The release is completed simply and easily, without the need of a “story” or excuses.
- awareness of how we already use the voice daily for emotional release
- investigation and exploration with how the voice helps to release stagnant emotional energy in a focused and purposeful way.
CRYSTAL BOWL EXPERIENCE
Just like the Tibetan singing bowls, crystal bowls have many of the same benefits. Playing a bowl is a major stress buster, and the sound of a crystal bowl is penetrating.
The segment concludes with a sound bath – a relaxation experience where participants are immersed in an orchestra of crystal bowl sounds.
- creating deep relaxation.
- stimulating the natural healing ability of the body.
This is a simple movement exercise designed to enhance the connection between the two hemispheres of the brain.
While the two hemispheres act largely independently, there is a great deal of communication between the two halves. Much of the interpretation of our environment, and even of speech depends on this, but exercises such as 'Brain Dance' strengthen the communication between the two hemispheres, significantly increasing brain function.
The mind then becomes more awakened, focused, and more powerful yet more peaceful. By integrating both hemispheres of your brain and allowing them to work in sync, there is an increase in overall mental health, enhancing cognitive performance, improved memory and intellectual functioning.
Exercises last only a few minutes, and are interspersed throughout the program.
- tools to focus.
- flexibility in thinking.
WRAP-UP AND DE-BRIEF
Presentation of certificates of Achievement, completion of evaluation forms, closing.